Introduction and Overview
Welcome to Peter's Online Typing Course!
By the time you finish this course, you will be able to confidently type all the letters, numbers and the most common symbols, with proper ten-finger touch typing technique.
Although there is some use of interactive multimedia here, this course is minimalist in nature, purposely without many of the bells and whistles common to some of the other typing sites and CD-ROMs out there. Frankly, such things often end up simply adding a lot of clutter, and consequently produce a counter-educational effect. The focus here is on sound pedagogy, and facilitating progressive and efficient (but hopefully not boring!) learning. I believe there is everything here necessary for you to become an accomplished typist in the shortest amount of time possible. Plus, this course has the great advantage of being free, without the need of registration, or any such silly marketing-things!
How to Use This Course
- Study the Principles for Effective Learning. These are so integral to your success in this course that they will be in front of your eyes before every typing exercise. Please take them to heart, and practise them ALWAYS.
- Familiarize yourself with good typing ergonomics.
- Then, learn about the logic behind the fingering on the keyboard, and in one fell swoop, you will know which fingers go where.
- After these preliminaries, you are ready to begin the course proper. There are 18 lessons, each of which can be completed somewhere in the range of 5 to 15 minutes, but may take up to several days to master. Since the skills you learn are cumulative in nature, you must MASTER each lesson before moving onto the next. Mastery for purposes of this course means being able to do three reloaded screens of exercises in a row in under 60 seconds each, with no errors, confidently. Begin with lesson 1, even if you have some experience already.
- Always begin with one or more of the typing exercises to warm-up. These are designed to help you develop the physical skills of typing in isolation, and to get the blood flowing!
This course makes use of the free Adobe Flash Player, available for all major browser and platforms. Chances are you have it installed already, but if you don't click here to download it. It's free and a snap to install.